Welcome. Enjoy.

This is just a test to see if this looks good. My other blog is shavonne.org

About Me

My photo
What do you want to know? I will tell you anything. Feel free to browse my blog.

Saturday, November 03, 2007

A most horrible reaction

I left my Sisterlocks Lifestyle Journal (Summer '07) on my mom's bed just to see if she'd look through it.


Her reaction wasn't a good one and it pretty much summed up her attitude towards the natural, unaltered hair of black people - she finds it disgusting.


"Why would you want to ruin your beautiful hair? The only way to undo this is to cut it all off. I can see if you had hair like mine but you have long hair. You're not a loc/Rastafarian person anyway."


Wow. I can't tell you how depressed this made me feel. I could tell she didn't even bothered to look through the magazine or she would have seen the different ways in which one can wear their hair. I'm not much of a enjoy-having-my-scalp-burned kind of person either but she doesn't see anything wrong with me getting my hair straightened.


I been reading the blogs of women who've had their hair Sisterlocked. I really enjoy reading them too. I only wished they updated their blogs more regularly-but hey, they've got lives to live too.


Check out these blogs by Sisterlocked women. Don't they look lovely and so not Rastafarian!


Leighann's Sisterlocks Coils & Curls

Haven

It's Real!

Tuereonline2.0