Welcome. Enjoy.

This is just a test to see if this looks good. My other blog is shavonne.org

About Me

My photo
What do you want to know? I will tell you anything. Feel free to browse my blog.

Monday, September 26, 2011

Cooking


I had a pretty lazy weekend. I’m so ashamed. Everything I had set out to do outside the house, I didn’t do. I’m not going to beat myself up about it either. I’m just going to focus on making the next week as productive as possible.

I did get to try out the Pure Indian Foods Organic Ghee I ordered. It tastes amazing. I made shrimp scampi using the ghee and Wildtree’s Shrimp Scampi Blend. I don’t think the blend is 100% primal as it contains dextrose but the seasoning blend flavored my shrimps just right. I only wish I had taken a picture of the quick dish as it would have been perfect for documenting a primal dish cooked my moi.

I ordered the flavored ghee 1 oz sampler pack of 6. I liked the Italian and Herbes de Provence ghee the best. I can’t wait to try the Italian ghee in a recipe. I’m not fond of the niter kebbeh, digestive or Indian dessert ghees. Not sure why but I don’t think I’ll ever order the 7 oz jars of those flavors. I was afraid to try the garlic ghee. Garlic by itself doesn’t taste good to me if the other flavors had a strong taste (some delightful, some not so) I decided to hold off on tasting the garlic ghee Plus, I like to avoid garlic as it makes my breath stink, but I don’t mind garlic when I’m on a date. I hate dating.

I just don’t see what the fuss is over coconut oil. I hate coconut. The Pure Indian Foods coconut oil reminds me hair grease. In fact, I’ve always associated coconut oil with hair grooming not food consumption. I suppose I should try to use it in a recipe to see how it makes my food taste. I’m dreading that day. I don’t like the taste of coconut except in my pina coladas.

Dating and coconut. Combine those two on the same day and I could go mad! Or toss my cookies.

I also tried to make roti canai with the sweet potato flour I had purchased from Zocalo Gourmet. I tried adding an equal amount of Now eggwhite protein powder to the flour to see if it would give the flour the same consistency as regular flour. It was a failure. Sweet potato flour is just very heavy. Even after sifting it a few times it was still too heavy of a flour once water had been added to it. Grain-free-gluten-free.com has a recipe for using coconut flour. The website says that to use 100% of a fiber-rich, non-binding flour like coconut, use 1 medium egg to 30g or 1 oz of flour. I should try this mixture next time to see if I can get the flour doughy enough for stretching.

Then I came across a recipe for roti canai which uses milk in the recipe. This recipe reads like it will taste absolutely divine. I can’t wait until this weekend.

I made some sweet potato pancakes. They were alright. I don’t like the heavy orange color or the texture of the pancakes. It could have been my batter (I didn’t exactly follow the recipe but added to what I had mixed for the roti) but the pancakes weren’t as fluffy as I like my pancakes. Again, sweet potato flour is heavy. I’m not sure I’ll ever get it right.

Finding recipes for this flour has been very difficult. But I’m not giving up. I still have a bag and a half of flour to use and I’ll use it all before I chuck it in the garbage. At least I’ll be able to say I used it.

I know this isn’t primal at all but roti canai would be a nice once in a while kind of treat. Foods like this are what I like to call my desert. Maybe I should try this with coconut flour…

0 comments: