Welcome. Enjoy.

This is just a test to see if this looks good. My other blog is shavonne.org

About Me

My photo
What do you want to know? I will tell you anything. Feel free to browse my blog.

Wednesday, January 18, 2006

Sex on the Silver Screen

A coworker went to see Brokeback Mountain this weekend. She said she and her boyfriend walked out of the movie. This had nothing to do with the subject matter of the movie because they were both aware of the subject. It was the gay sex scene that jolted them out of their seats in disgust.

I know the feeling. But for me it wouldn't be the fact that it was a gay sex scene that would prompt me to leave the theatre, it's sex scenes period.

Now, I haven't seen Brokeback Mountain and that's not what this post is about. Well actually this is what this post is about, because this movie, along with every other movie attempts to show LOVE by using the played-out sex scene.

I'm sure Brokeback Mountain is a good movie but I believe the purpose of the movie-to show gay relationships aren't always about sex-was lost in translation because of the sex scene 20 minutes into the film. 20 dang minutes! Couldn't they have put it at the end? Those (with open minds) that had gone to see the movie probably ended up leaving and never seeing the rest of the movie because of the sex.

Sex does not equal love. It never has and it never will, so why can't writers in Hollywood be more creative at showing people IN LOVE.

I still plan on seeing Brokeback Mountain because it got good reviews and thanks to my coworker, I got a heads up on when to take a bathroom break.

Sorry this post is so short. I meant to write more but as usual, I completely lost interest in the subject. That darn A.D.D!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I want to see Brokeback Mountain because I think Jake Gyllehaal (sp?) is sexy but I'm with you. I'm tired of the sex=love equation that Hollywood and society in general is trying to force feed us.

nikki said...

i'm with you, sista! sex can be good but it ain't love.