Welcome. Enjoy.

This is just a test to see if this looks good. My other blog is shavonne.org

About Me

My photo
What do you want to know? I will tell you anything. Feel free to browse my blog.

Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Inauguration of 44


Has everyone (in the world) lost their minds? I don’t ever recall such hoopla over a Presidential inauguration. Yes, history has been made, but dang, likening today’s events to spiritual awakenings? The first day you can see yourself accomplishing anything in your life? WTF?

We said goodbye to one President, and trust me, I’m happy about that, but putting Obama on this god-like pedestal is setting ourselves up for a huge disappointment if he can’t deliver what he’s promised. It’s like gorging yourself with donuts and getting that sugar high. Then when you come of that high, your whole body feels like dead weight and you have to struggle to keep your eyes open. If people all over the world couldn’t wait to get rid of Bush, I would hate to see how happy they’d be to rid the country of Obama if he doesn’t follow through with his promises. Scary.

But there’s some other issues that bother be about what people (especially black folk) are attaching to the significance of today.

“This is the first time I could ever picture myself doing something with my life.”

Are you serious?

“I never thought I’d see this day.”

What? There was a chance none of us would have ever seen this day if Obama didn’t think he was capable of being President, but to make not seeing a black man as President as an excuse for not trying to do anything in life is just ridiculous. My gosh, even I thought I probably would never see this day, but I certainly knew it was possible and I’ve certainly have been trying to move up in the world despite being told by black folks that I can’t make it because I’m black. I know what I’m capable of doing and what I can accomplish if I work hard. It seems like the only people who didn’t think it was possible were black folk.

I’m probably just bitter because I had to work today instead of hanging out at home and watching the inauguration. I mean it is an important event and I did want to see it. I was certainly not willing to fly across country and stand in the cold to see it, but I did want to see the event on tv as it was happening.

Enough about ranting. I’ve got some homework to finish.

0 comments: