Welcome. Enjoy.

This is just a test to see if this looks good. My other blog is shavonne.org

About Me

My photo
What do you want to know? I will tell you anything. Feel free to browse my blog.

Tuesday, December 13, 2005

It's That Time of Year. Burglaries Are on the Rise

Someone that works in my department told me 11 houses in her neighborhood had been broken into in the last month, including hers.

Boy am I paranoid. I've paranoid since January when it happened to me. I keep going over and over in my head how I could have done things differently. Like:

  1. I shouldn't have been so comfortable in my own home.
  2. I shouldn't have left my laptop out where it could be seen.
  3. I should have put all of my music cds in their cases instead of leaving them in the 200-capacity leather cd cases. Those cases made it so easy for the thieves to walk away with a 15-year collection of music. That's about 300 cds folks. And they only took two of my leather cases.
  4. I should have kept my digital camcorder in the box downstairs. (I had just gotten back from 18 month tour in Korea and hadn't had the chance to unpack.)
  5. I should have archived the pics/files on my harddrive and stored the mini dv tapes with footage of my grandmother when she was alive, someplace other than in the camcorder bag.
But it's not the material things they took that disturbs me so. It's fact that someone I don't know invited themselves into a my place. They went through my underwear drawer, they went through hundreds of photographs of me and my friends and family. They know my name, what I look like, they know what movies I like, what kind of clothes I wear and I know NOTHING about them. Nada. Zilch. Zero.

And because of this, I stressing over where I hid some really expensive software. That's what I do now. I hide things. I hide things and I forget where I put them. I wish I had emailed myself about these hiding places. Because they're really good hiding places. I can't find them because I can't remember where they are. I can't find things because I hide them and I can't remember where I hide them because I'm stressed out over the fact that I can't live comfortably in my own home. Urgh!!!!!!!!!

6 comments:

Ryan said...

Sorry to hear someone did that to you.

I think we would all be a lot more prepared for this is we watched Home Alone more regularly and learned from it

Rell said...

i do that too, everyday when I leave i hide my laptop so that if someone breaks in they won't find it.

Shavonne said...

Matt

Either way, someone has documentation of the last four years of my life. It's really scary. Something to think about when I'm writing my book. Maybe it won't be the burglar that becomes obsessed about....hmmm, I don't even have a name for my character.

Shavonne said...

Ryan,

I wish I was home when it happened so I could've kicked some ass. Unfortunately, the burglar could have been seriously dangerous and I'm glad I wasn't home. Who knows what would have happened to me.

Shavonne said...

Rell,

I wish had hidden my Sony. It was small and thin enough to go in a lot of places. It's a lesson learned.

Hiding just isn't enough though. I planned on getting a floor safe that I can bolt to the floor. I don't want to take any chances.

Shavonne said...

Shelley,

I'm over the loss of the goods. It's the fear and invasion of privacy I'll never get over. I don't think I'll ever feel safe again.