Welcome. Enjoy.

This is just a test to see if this looks good. My other blog is shavonne.org

About Me

My photo
What do you want to know? I will tell you anything. Feel free to browse my blog.

Wednesday, December 28, 2005

JaNoWriMo

I only have two more days until I start writing my novel. I still haven't outlined it. I'm screwed. This makes me wonder how professional writers keep turning out books year after year. Do they outline at all or do they just sit at the computer typing whatever story comes to mind?

I've been meaning to sit at the dining room table and just type until my fingers ache. Unfortunately, I know I wouldn't get anything done. I'm too easily distracted. I've tried writing in coffee shops and libraries, but I'm not able to stay focused.

As far as outlining goes, I've come up with a ton of ideas when I have no pen or paper or computer to jot them down.

This reminds me of the time I had to write a screenplay for my screenwriting class. I couldn't for the life of me get anything done when I sat at my computer to type. But let me be in my other classes or at work and the characters, scenes, etc would start coming to life in my head. I wrote most of that screenplay in my American History class. I got 20 pages of a screenplay out of the way one day. I really impressed the instructor because he thought I was feverishly taking notes.

I figure with about three hours of hard core writing after work and 4 to 8 hours of writing on the weekends I should be able to get 50,000 words by January 31. I can do it. It's only about 1,700 words a day. I can do that. A piece of cake. I can do it.

6 comments:

Ryan said...

Yeah I would think outlines help even if it is just something to wander away from.

You can definitely do this no problem! It's a done deal! It's so done I am already reading it and it is fantastic.

James Manning said...

Hey, thanks for commenting on my blog. I tried to write a novel once and stopped at about 5000 words. Never went back to it. I may have to one day.

Shavonne said...

You know James, I can't even remember which blog is yours. I'm assuming your on my favorite blogs list?

Shavonne said...

Shelley,

I don't even have names for my characters! You'd think I'd have that down.

Shavonne said...

Ryan,

If you aren't inspirational, I don't know what is. You've got me pump. I want to start now!!!!! But I can't because it's not Jan 1. That would be cheating and I don't cheat. I might fake it, but I won't cheat.

DarthImmortal said...

Good luck!! After reading your blog I am convinced you have talent. Just harness it in the right direction and you will succeed. I have faith in you.