Welcome. Enjoy.

This is just a test to see if this looks good. My other blog is shavonne.org

About Me

My photo
What do you want to know? I will tell you anything. Feel free to browse my blog.

Saturday, December 03, 2005

Movies

I went to see Rent and the new Harry Potter movie yesterday. I don't know what to think about Rent. There was a whole lot of AIDS, intravenous drugs, and homosexual stuff. I wasn't expecting it at all. I thought it was going to be a movie about people bitching about the cost of living. Well, I guess it was a movie about bitching about the cost of living-with AIDS. Maybe I should go see it again. Sometimes I don't absord a movie's implicit meaning the first time I see it.

As for Harry Potter, I didn't like it as much as the first movie. Of course, I'm not the biggest Harry Potter fan. In fact, I've avoided reading the books and watching the movies because of the kid factor. I'm not very good with kids. I wasn't good with kids when I was a kid. Nonetheless, I had to see what the hype was all about. I mean I knew people that were skipping work and taking their kids out of school just to see the movie opening day. I've never gone as far as skipping work for a movie or taking my kids out of school, because, you know, I don't have kids, but I have rushed to the movies after work just to see a movie.

It was Serenity. A movie had been dying to see for the longest time because I'm a huge Joss Whedon fan. I discovered the characters from the show Firefly. A fellow blogger, a huge fan of Buffy, bought the Firefly series and gave it rave reviews.

I was hoping the movie would spark a new interest in Firefly. But I guess not. Too bad Joss wasn't able to sell the show to Sci-Fi. It would be great to see some of the best characters brought back to life on the small screen.

2 comments:

Cathie said...

I saw Rent the musical about seven or eight years ago, but I can't see how it works as a movie. Jonathan Larson, the guy who wrote it, died right before it went on Broadway of AIDS. He wrote it during the time when AIDS was a huge problem in NYC. I find it quite sad, but there are some themes like love and redemption and living life to its fullest that I think make it a great story. And I like the music, too. Well, some of it, anyway, like No Day But Today. I feel like if more people lived their lives like each day was their last, the world would be a much better place. There is so much good, so much to appreciate that people just take for granted.

Shavonne said...

From what I saw, I think Rent should have remained on Broadway. It wasn't that great of a movie.