Welcome. Enjoy.

This is just a test to see if this looks good. My other blog is shavonne.org

About Me

My photo
What do you want to know? I will tell you anything. Feel free to browse my blog.

Saturday, February 04, 2006

Houseplants

A coworker gave me two houseplants a few months ago. Both are flowering houseplants which produce a pretty Lilly-like flower. The larger plant is flourishing and has two new white flowers. The smaller, however, is not doing so well.

Two weeks ago I watered both plants before leaving for work in the morning. When I came home the larger plant had perked right up, the smaller plant was still drooping. When I checked the soil, it was still quite moist. In fact there was a little bit of water in the drain tray which meant the plant wasn't absorbing the water. So I stopped watering it the last two weeks.

When I got the plants my first instinct was to replant the smaller one because it was in a burgunday ceramic self-watering pot and I don't like self-watering pots or burgundy. But since it was winter, I convinced myself to wait until spring. Boy was that a mistake.

When I pulled the plant out of the pot the soil was hard and very wet and there were a lot of rotting roots. I had to scrap away the dirt and rotten roots, which isn't easy because the sight of plant roots make me want throw up.

On top of that I had to go out and buy new potting soil, river rocks, a plastic pot, and drip trays all totaling around 20 bucks.

I'm just really pissed off at myself for wasting 3 hours and 20 bucks trying to save a plant that probably won't live. I wasted my time, my money, and made myself nauseous when I could have just taken my money and bought new plants.

5 comments:

nikki said...

don't feel bad about it. you tried to save it. even if you didn't, at least you tried. the effort wasn't wasted.

ManNMotion said...

I know what you mean. My mom "trimmed" one of my plants a couple of years ago and though it didn't die, it never recovered. Then my nephew knocked my bike down on it and that was the straw that broke the camel's back. And I won't even tell you about my luck with palms.

Ryan said...

When the plants evolve and take over the earth, you will be one of the few they spare

Mahnarch said...

I have about a million plant corpses in my cupboard. That's where I keep my failed graveyard of plants.

Anywho, I started my webcomic today.
Check it out and make sure you can actually see it and read it.
I'm still trying out formats, techniques and stuff.

Just in case you lost my link:
www.mahnster.blogspot.com

Joanne said...

Girl, at least you tried. I have a purple thumb. I can't keep anything alive, so I just don't even try anymore.