Welcome. Enjoy.

This is just a test to see if this looks good. My other blog is shavonne.org

About Me

My photo
What do you want to know? I will tell you anything. Feel free to browse my blog.

Monday, February 13, 2006

I Hate Dating

After exchanging emails and a couple of phone calls, I decided to meet the Asian guy. He wanted to meet in a bar but since I don’t drink I suggested we meet at the Getty Center on Saturday.

Like our phone conversations, our first meeting was very boring and almost juvenile.

There's nothing that turns me off more than a man that has nothing to talk about but his job. Now I know what you're thinking, "Girl you better be glad he got a job." Most of these men I've met men earned six-figure salaries and there was a reason why-they were workaholics. But this Asian guy I've been communicating with doesn't have an interesting job, nor does he make a six-figure salary. He went from working in the tech industry, to being a plumber, to doing temp work (as in secretary-type temp work). Which is why I said our phone conversations seemed juvenile. He's a 32-year-old who doesn't seem to have many goals for his life, which is surprising since he’s Asian.

I don’t think he enjoyed the Getty Center. I love art and when I find a piece I particularly like, I’ll look at for as long as it takes for me to discover every detail of that artwork. He would glance at something then walk on to the next piece. On top of that, when I tried to talk about a couple of the pieces with him, he would make inappropriate jokes then start giggling like a bitch like the jokes were funny. (What’s with men and bitch giggling?!!)

I've been faced with making a decision between a guy that I'm dating and my job or school or just about anything that makes me independent. A couple of weeks into dating, my valentine from last year expected me to call in sick to work just to spend a Thursday or Friday (his only days off) with him. Did I ever do it? Hell no! I've got bills to pay, places I like to go, people I like to see, and things I would like to do and my job is my source of income to do those things.

Considering the fact that I'll be starting grad school in two weeks, why would I want to continue to communicate with this guy? I mean, my nights and weekends will be about keeping my grades up because my job is paying (100% for tuition and books) for me to go to school.

I don’t expect a man to take of me nor am I a feminist. I would like to get married but I don’t like the statistics on it. I would love to have children but I don’t want to pay someone else to raise them. It just seems like if I wanted the things I just mentioned I would have to give it to myself or not have them at all. Asian guy is not promising prospect. And I’m not physically attracted to him. He’s a lot shorter than his profile said. I don’t do short men because they usually have tall tempers.

I guess I will be using my grad student status to get out dating this guy. I don’t time or the desire. Plus I haven’t gotten over the Undercova Brotha movie thing.

8 comments:

winz said...

not a very good representation of an Asian guy, was he?

well, i guess dating's like this - you won't get lucky and meet great guys all the time.

perhaps you will find someone in your grad school?

good luck!

RevRee said...

Why are you seeing/considering seeing someone who bores you?

Don't settle for something less then what you want! Why go out with some 32 year old secretary temp if you're not interested?! There's so much in life to enjoy and your man is out there!

At least thats what I keep telling myself ;-)

Shavonne said...

Rev-

I don't settle which is why I'm single. Usually when I don't see a guy anymore I tell them to get lost but Asian guy is really nice and I want to be tactful when I tell him I can't hang with him anymore.


Khalli-

I was thinking the same thing. He's like the laziest Asian guy I've ever met.

Winz-

He wasn't the first Asian guy I've and he won't be the last. I've school to think about anyway.

Ms.Honey said...

32 and still trying to find himself huh? I detest men like that or men who try to act like they have it together and try to make it seem like you are the one who is childish...dating sucks monkey balls (letitallhangout's word) lol....but how can you find anyone without dating..it's a win lose lol

Cynthia said...

My father was a lot shorter than my mother. As far as the temper, it mellowed over time, he became a pussycat.

Good luck with your dating.

Joanne said...

I don’t do short men because they usually have tall tempers.

ROTFL. Good one. Good luck with school, keep focused... don't settle for less than you deserve ever, in anything.

nikki said...

cut the asian guy NOW. don't continue wasting your time on that one. he ain't gonna improve. some brotha's gonna be appreciative of all of the things you bring to the table. believe that.

Shavonne said...

Nikki-

A brotha? Sadly black love is something of an urban legend in my world or at least in California. If there are black couples in California, they were imported from another state.