Welcome. Enjoy.

This is just a test to see if this looks good. My other blog is shavonne.org

About Me

My photo
What do you want to know? I will tell you anything. Feel free to browse my blog.

Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Swiss Chard

I purchased some red and white Swiss chard this past weekend and I needed to cook it up before it went bad. I also had som spicy Italian sausage and pastrami I needed to eat before the meat went bad. So, I decided to combine it all. It was delicious.

1 bunch of red Swiss chard
1 bunch of white Swiss chard
1/2 yellow onion
4 slices of bacon
2 spicy Italian sausage links
Sea salt
Black pepper
Red pepper flakes
Any other seasoning you happen to like

1. While the bacon is cooking, clean your Swiss chard and cut as much of the stem off as you can. You can soak them in cold water for however long it takes to remove the dirt.
I cooked the bacon until crispy and set the bacon aside.
2. Put aside some of the bacon grease and sautéed the onions in the same pan you cooked the bacon.
3. In a separate pan, cook the sausage. Cook the Italian sausage and when done cut into half moons and set aside. (I cooked the sausage in a separate pan because I didn't want to cook the chard in the grease from the sausage.
4. And the meat to the sautéed onions. Add the Swiss chard. As you add the chard, tear leaves into small pieces.
5. Add seasonings and mix everything together and cook until the Swiss chard is tender.

My recipe isn't that clear. I'm typing it on my iPhone and my thumb is getting tired. Any questions about this recipe, leave a comment on my other blog shavonnne.org.

This really good stuff.

Now for some really good news.

I finally found a place that sells the Okinawan purple sweet potato. When I was doing my search on the Internet, I was using Okinawan sweet potato as my search words and that's why I was coming up with nothing. When I changed my search terms to Hawaiian purple yam, I was led to Hawaiian Veggie Farm and they sell these purple spuds for $2 a pound and they ship right to your home for free! Can't beat that. I've already lined up several recipes to try with these potatoes. I must patiently wait until they arrive. I will have a lot if cooking to do as I ordered 12 pounds.


0 comments: