Welcome. Enjoy.

This is just a test to see if this looks good. My other blog is shavonne.org

About Me

My photo
What do you want to know? I will tell you anything. Feel free to browse my blog.

Friday, January 15, 2010

Day 15

The Internet was down last night so I couldn’t post to my blogs. I met a new person today. I didn’t get his phone number but I least I met someone new. Anyways, we were watching the news. If you don’t already know then you must live in a box with no windows or doors or Internet, but Haiti had a devastating earthquake.

I’ve seen the images and it seems like the quake wouldn’t have been so bad if the dwellings were compliant with some kind of earthquake building regulation. Not that making buildings more earthquake resistant can save anyone in a 7 (geez I can’t seem to remember the term for the strength of an earthquake) but it sure helps.

Anyways, the gentleman I met today commented about how poor Haiti is (the poorest in the Western Hemisphere) but none of the richer countries have tried to help this country.

I told him about my cousins who we’ve tried to help, not by giving money but by giving advice (go to school, keep a steady job, stay welfare) and we (the folks who live a better life) are met with very hostile threats of a beat down.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day. Teach him how to fish and you feed him for a lifetime. - Anonymous (I think. Google was down and so I couldn’t give proper attribution.)

I’d like to add to that saying: If a man turns down the opportunity to learn how to fish, then he doesn’t want to eat.

I will be seeing what my church is doing to help with Haiti.

0 comments: