Welcome. Enjoy.

This is just a test to see if this looks good. My other blog is shavonne.org

About Me

My photo
What do you want to know? I will tell you anything. Feel free to browse my blog.

Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Day 324



I’ve been reading on the Internet how the gay community is blaming and sometimes attacking the Mormon Church and the black population for the passage of Prop 8.

I never had any doubt how many in the black community feel about homosexuality. A lot of blacks find it offensive to compare the Civil Rights Movement to the right for gay marriage. Being black isn’t a choice while being gay is. (Or is it?)

Of course, it’s really not fair to say that 70% of blacks oppose gay marriage despite the stats. It’s probably really much lower than that as the 70% only accounts for only those of voting age who actually voted.

It’s nice and yet awkward to see 70% used to describe the black population for something other than out-of-wedlock births.

Back to black homophobia. I’m not sure where it stems from. I know growing up, my relatives would say some pretty nasty things about those with too much sugar in their tanks or mannish women. Gay for black folks is a huge no-no. Like a double whammy. Children are taught gay is bad. I’m not sure why in my family as none of my relatives are particularly religious. I think it has something to do with not wanting the kids to have to deal with discrimination on two fronts - black and gay.

Double whammy! I’ve read the blogs of black gay bloggers and picture they paint of the gay community isn’t always one of acceptance from other non-black gays. Believe it or not, there are racist gay people! Duh!

I wrote about how I wasn’t sure how I was going to vote on Prop 8 and that I thought I was going to sit that round out. I didn’t. I ended up voting against Prop 8. I voted that way because I knew it would pass and I’m a sucker for the underdog.

You can’t expect millions of people to put aside their religious convictions (if that’s why they voted for Prop 8). I also don’t see why blacks are being verbally attacked and racial slurs hurled against them. This is isn’t happening in black communities, BTW. I’d like to see that. Ha!

I’ll probably write about this again when I’m not so tired and in need of doing my homework.

The California Supreme court will eventually overturn Prop 8 like it did back in 2000 when voters voted for a ban on gay marriage.

0 comments: