Welcome. Enjoy.

This is just a test to see if this looks good. My other blog is shavonne.org

About Me

My photo
What do you want to know? I will tell you anything. Feel free to browse my blog.

Thursday, January 24, 2008

Day 24

I just finished reading a chapter from my weekly reading so I feel the need to reward myself by writing a long blog post.

I stayed up rather late last night because I wanted to watch the last two episodes of the Sopranos. Well, I have a few thoughts about what I had seen.

I would like to start out by saying the Soprano kids (Meadow and AJ) are rather spoiled. AJ tried to kill himself. Why? Who knows, but I doubt it had anything to do with the fact that his Dominican girlfriend broke up with him. I think AJ's problem was that he was unhappy because he is white. His girl broke up with him and he starts getting depressed over the stuff that's going on in the world and specifically the Middle East.

There was also that incident where AJ watched his friends beat up some African dude (more on this in a minute). AJ really starting screaming "Why can't we all just get along" to his psychiatrist because, you know, lunacy runs in that family.

Back to the African dude. For black folk born and raised on American soil, (this doesn't include me by the way) but many of them are delusional when it comes to the motherland (Africa). Most Africans look down on American-born people of African descent. Let me summarize the dialogue between AJ's friends (white boys) and the African:
EXT. CITY STREET - WINTER AFTERNOON

A group of young white males are confronting a black male.

White Males: You f^cking N!gger!

African: I'm not a n!gger! My name is Kunta Kinte, and I was born and raised in Uganda, and I go to college.

The white males push African on the ground and throw his bike in the middle of the street so that a car runs over it. AJ steps back and watches his friends stomp the crap out of the African.
There's a whole lot of subtext going on with the African's dialogue. (BTW, I can't remember the name or country the African dude said he was from, but it doesn't matter, does it?) I know it's fiction, but I've experienced what African's think of black Americans first hand which is why I'll tell anyone who would listen that I'm not African. They (Africans) don't consider me as such and I consider myself American.