Welcome. Enjoy.

This is just a test to see if this looks good. My other blog is shavonne.org

About Me

My photo
What do you want to know? I will tell you anything. Feel free to browse my blog.

Friday, January 25, 2008

Day 25

What makes someone commit suicide?

When I was at the dentist today getting my teeth cleaned, I watched a news story on tv about some teenagers in South Wales who committed suicide.

Not that this is important but AJ, that character on Sopranos I wrote about yesterday, tried to kill himself.

Have I thought about suicide? Yes, I have. I thought about it a lot when I was living in Colorado. But I weighed my options and decided that killing myself would be eternally permanent while I'd only be in Colorado until I got orders someplace else (eventually did-to Korea). My misery had an expiration date.

My future miseries will have an expiration date. I'm currently waiting for my obligation with the Army to expire. That magical date is 21 August 2008. That's my new birth date, BTW.

Speaking of the Army, I got an email (again) telling me I need to join a reserve unit. Let me share the misery email:

Over the past months many Career Counselors have attempted to contact you. Some have been successful. I'm sending this message out to remind you that the IRR Muster will start soon. HRC-STL will send out approximately 40,000 1 day orders, across the nation. If you receive an order, just follow the directions.

I'm rolling my eyes now. I get one of these babies every week. If they are going to call me back in, they're going to call me back in. There's nothing I can do about that. What else does the email say? Let me share that too:

As you may know, the USAR is approximately 13,600 Soldiers short now. This is a +/- 3,000 Soldier decrease from Jul 07. There is a big push to fill slots in USAR Units. These policies that are still in place:

1. 2 year MOB Stabilization. (Contractual Obligation must be completed)

Yeah, sure. Show me one, just one reserve unit that hasn't deployed within one year after already completing a tour to Iraq/Afghanistan? Oh, wait there's more.

2. Military Service Obligation Reduction (Contractual Obligation must be completed and have at least 2 years left on your current contract)

Ah, yes. I still have only 7 months left. Dang. What else?

3. Prior Service Enlisted Bonus. (Contractual Obligation must be completed). This incentive is currently suspended until the bill is signed into law.

Play close attention to "currently suspended." Now, please look at policy #1, again. LOL.

1. 2 year MOB Stabilization. (Contractual Obligation must be completed)

Yes, I believe MOB stabilization will eventually be suspended until signed into law.

4. Enlisted Affiliation Bonus. (Contractual Obligation must be completed). This incentive is currently suspended until the bill is signed into law.

Extra money is currently suspended! Dang. I just keep missing those opportunities. But there's more.

5. Officer Affiliation Bonus.

6. The USAR has been offering Troop Program Unit Soldiers TRI-CARE medical. The rates are $81.00 for single soldiers and $253.00 for Soldiers with dependants, per month. These rates are valid as of October 2007.

Hmm. Let me think. Kaiser or Tri-care. Kaiser or Tri-care. Free or $81. I'll take free. But thanks anyway.

21 August 2008