Welcome. Enjoy.

This is just a test to see if this looks good. My other blog is shavonne.org

About Me

My photo
What do you want to know? I will tell you anything. Feel free to browse my blog.

Wednesday, January 09, 2008

Day 9

I read an article in People magazine about teen pregnancy. I'm not really caring at all about teen pregnancy. I guess I would care if I had a teenage daughter.

I think the real topic is why aren't these very young girls giving their children up for adoption? There was only one girl in the bunch interviewed that chose to give her son up for adoption.

Adoption is the most logical way to deal with a teenage pregnancy. Sometimes I wonder what my life would have been like if my mother had given me up for adoption. She was entirely too young for motherhood when she had me, granted she was legally an adult but she sure wasn't one mentally.

This got me thinking about black children in general. This is just my opinion, but I think most black children are screwed from the moment of conception. For one, the parent(s) is usually too damn young, undereducated, and financially insecure to try to raise a child. The one's who miraculously mature after the child's birth spend the next 20 years struggling to house, feed, and clothe the child to even enjoy parenthood.

Someone at work mentioned how much she struggled when she was young as a single parent working and while trying to go to school. She also said that if she were to have another child (her daughter is grown), she would be able to enjoy the kid more because she would have to worry about finances and getting an education. She also mentioned the differences in the households of her nieces and nephews. One set of children have parents who waited until they were older and financially secure before having their children. The other set of parents had their children young and without a pot to piss in. One set of parents actually have the time to enjoy their children; the other set of parents spend more of their days worrying about how they're going to pay the rent and put food on the table.

I could go on about why black children are screwed but I won't because I have homework to do. I do want to say that there are a lot of black children being raised by gay and lesbian (and white) couples. You could come to your own conclusions about that last sentence. Remember that Halle Berry movie, Losing Isaiah? You can come to your own conclusions of why I brought up that movie, too.