Welcome. Enjoy.

This is just a test to see if this looks good. My other blog is shavonne.org

About Me

My photo
What do you want to know? I will tell you anything. Feel free to browse my blog.

Saturday, April 12, 2008

Day 103

I hate musicals. I watched Sweeney Todd today and I absolutely hated it. There's something about musicals. The only musical I've ever liked was Grease.

Then I watched The Kite Runner. I read the book when I was deployed to Afghanistan. Dear Carey sent the book to me in a care package. It was a very good book but very disturbing. The images from the movie are just like my memories of Afghanistan. The thing I remember most is the lack of trees. There is a shot of Amir's house when Amir returns to Afghanistan to fetch his nephew. It was just a house with a wall around it. All the trees in the court yard had been cut down.

(An interesting fact about the movie is it was shot in China in a city that borders Afghanistan! They really had me fooled because the scenes during the kite running, looked just like the Afghanistan I was able to see.)

The only places I recall there being trees were around the embassies and the camps near the embassies like HQ ISAF and Camp Eggers. I remember looking at the mountains to the west of HQ ISAF and seeing the wall that supposedly surrounds the city of Kabul. I never had the opportunity to actually go to the wall. By the time it had warmed up, things had gotten pretty dangerous and I could only leave camp if it was mission essential.

The Kite Runner is a good book and a good movie.

Now I'm going to watch Walk Hard. I'll let you know what I think.

0 comments: